Emmett and Bay- I don't agree with Bay haters

I've been trying to fill in the gap that Grey's anatomy leaves behind by a show that can inspire me to write all those 'love-dovey' scenes that every author has to sometimes write. I looked through some good shows and some average ones and stumbled upon a brilliant one.

The name of the show is Switched at Birth and I'm presently following it through some angelic souls who upload the episodes on youtube.

The one-hour scripted drama revolves around two teenagers who were switched at birth and grew up in very different environment

Its about these two girls that get swtiched in a hospital immediately after birth. Now, I know that sounds too much like a Bollywood movie to ever make you want to even see one episode. Believe me, when I read the bio myself, I thought, "hmm....not very interesting". Furthermore, one of the exchanged daughters loses her hearing. That made it even more hindi film type overly dramatic story for me. I didn't know whether I would be able to stand the drama.

How wrong was I!

I saw the first episode online, and was intrigued. The treatment was fresh, there was no teary drama, no loud histrionics. Just a whole bunch of regular people, albeit very good looking regular people, dealing with extraordinary circumstances. The main leads, Katie Leclerc and Vanessa Marano are just too cute. Both the girls are playing characters that are same in age, but different in temperament.

Daphne, due to the very nature of her life, is more serious. I've noticed that when you go through any kind of hardship as a child, you tend to become very observant of the people around you. A person becomes a little quite, a little wary, extremely understanding, even open to accepting others fault. Because you have already seen so many hardships in your life early on, you become willing to see the good side of everything, willing to smile wide for every joy, in every happiness. Daphne thus, is just a very well rounded girl, who is absolutely loveable on first meeting.

Bay!

Bay now is a whole different thing.

From the first episode itself I felt a kinship with this character. She's quirky, sarcatic, mildly spoilt and not afraid to admit it, has a wicked sense of humor and not to forget is just very pretty. I understood her.

I've seen so many people online saying they don't get Bay, they hate Bay, they think she is spoilt etc.

Here's why I don't agree with these people.

She has always felt different, always felt like an outsider. The show has time and again mentioned how at family gathering people asked her parents if she was adopted. For her, it was doubly weird because she has a brother for comparison. A brother who is blonde, supposedly blue eyed(I haven't looked closely) and the exact day to her night. Not to say that Daphne has never felt like an outsier, but for Bay therewas no logical explanation for why she felt that way. As opposed to that, Daphne, to put it crudely, would if at all, associate the feeling of being different with losing her hearing.

When Bay finds out that she isn't biologically related to her family, she is devastated, lost, her worst fears confirmed. I have to give credit to the family for having a very positive approach to the entire situation, but I always felt that the Kennish parents were very loving towards Daphne off the bat. Regina on the other hand isn't openly deonstrative or even affectionate towards Bay. This in the face of her parents new found love for Daphne, makes Bay feel lost. I dont blame her. Its like Daphne's got three parents, and Bay's got none.

To top that off, Daphne is perfect.

I mean honestly, she is.

And in Bay's words, she is totally a look alike of Racheal McAdams. *rolls eyes*

I identify with Bay. At every moment that people judged her to be spoilt, I felt like her actions were understandable. She was bitchy yes, she was insensitive yes, she was a little grey for a while yes. But who wouldn't be in that situation. Different people react to situations differently. Just because Daphne embraced the change, willing to work through it, does not mean that Bay has to act that way too.

And then Bay lived upto my expectations.

Slowly through the series, she found her footing, righted her life.

I still see a shadow of doubt and anger and grey emotions in her, but she is atleast moving along.

And then the most surprising thing happened.

I found my new favourite couple.


Look how cute they look!

EBAY or Bemmett as their fans call them are my favorite new couple. They look so cute together and I love the way both of them are so patient with the sign language.

This might be a total fan girl blog entry, but I couldn't resist.


SAB writers, bring them together please.

Comments

Popular Posts